Remembering Concordia Place in your Estate Plan
Charitable giving is an important tradition for many people. Making gifts for the benefit of others offers a wonderful way to affirm your values and priorities. Your estate plan provides a unique opportunity to help both the people and organizations important to you. In fact, to consider your assets and direct their future use through estate planning is a rewarding and uplifting experience.
Being remembered in the estate plans of our friends and supporters is a lifeline to Concordia’s mission and those we serve. These gifts insure our mission’s ability to thrive and continue to serve the children and families who need it most.
Consider the following ways to leave a legacy of your own:
- A gift included in your will or living trust is a simple yet meaningful way to provide additional support.
- A gift of excess retirement funds, such as pension plans or Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs), may allow you to give more, while eliminating taxes that may otherwise largely deplete these assets.
- A gift of life insurance that has fulfilled its original purpose may offer excellent tax benefits. Policies that you purchased to protect a loved one who no longer needs that protection can be an excellent way to make a gift in honor of that person.
- A gift that provides an income can be a tax-effective way to provide you and/or someone else you designate with regular payments for life or other period of time. Check with your tax or financial advisors for more information.
The following are resources to help you establish your planned gift:
- Concordia Place Federal EIN: 32-033719
- Illinois Department of Revenue Tax-exempt ID Number: E9942-1275-03
- Administrative Office: 3300 N. Whipple St.
Chicago, IL 60640
- Sample language for speaking with attorney: I would like to consider a bequest to Concordia Place the next time we discuss my will. Please put this memo in my will folder as a reminder to us. Thank you very much.
- The following sample bequest provisions may be helpful for your attorney in drafting will provisions:
“I give, devise and bequeath to Concordia Place, a non-profit organization existing under the laws of the State of Illinois, and located in Chicago, Illinois, ___________________________(% of your estate, dollar amount, property, securities, etc)
…to be used for _______________________(however you wish the gift to be used) at Concordia Place.
Gifts of Stock
Because Concordia Place is an affiliate of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the ELCA Foundation oversees all gifts of stock to Concordia Place.
- Complete the DTC Transfer Authorization Form #1
- Send it directly to your broker to electronically transfer (DTC) appreciated stock from your broker to the ELCA account at Wells Fargo Advisors. (If you only need to provide transfer information over the phone or on your broker’s form, please find it on Form #1.)
- Email (or send) Shawn Green a letter of instruction which includes the number of shares, name of stock, designation of the gift and your full name and home address.
If you would like to transfer anything other than stocks held at a broker, please first contact Shawn Greene at the ELCA.
Mission Advancement/ELCA Foundation
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
8765 W Higgins Rd., Chicago, IL 60631-4101
Phone: 800-638-3522 ext. 2976 or 773-380-2976; Fax: 773-380-2280